Tuesday 25 February 2014

My Travel Diary #Pune-Mumbai

It has become a routine for me to go to Mumbai every alternate weekend to meet my sweet niece.  :) Last Month on one Saturday I was travelling to Mumbai. I was sitting next to an old uncle in a bus. He must be in his 70's.

I was little upset with myself that I couldn't manage to catch the morning 7.15 train :( and from my old experiences I was knowing that the bus would definitely take more than 4 hrs. For me it's too boring to spend 3-4 hrs sitting idle in a sit because I don't have smart phone to play games for hrs :P and I couldn't listen songs for more than a hr as it becomes too noisy in the running bus that it always gives me a headache. Even I couldn't sleep for continuous 3-4 hrs. I couldn't even look outside because I didn't get window sit....... :'(

I called my sister to tell her that I will reach Mumbai before 12 PM(just to remind her not to forget to cook lunch for me also :P ) . I told her whole story of how I missed my train and all. After 15 minutes of long chat, I cut the phone.

After almost half an hr we started  from Pune station, Uncle sitting beside me pulled out a polythene bag and started eating 'Farsan'. He offered me saying he didn't have breakfast in the morning and have to take his medicines. I felt bad that he has to have Farsan as a breakfast.  But Uncle didn't give me much time to regret for this and continued his talk.

He was saying....

"I stay at Kasaba Peth with my wife. It's very difficult to manage everything because she couldn't walk  properly because of knee pain.  Because of her illness only we have shifted to Mumbai so that our Daughter can take care of us. But we don't like to stay at her home all the time so we keep on travelling between our home in Pune and our Daughter's place in Mumbai."

Me:" Ok." [Just smiled :)] After a long pause of 10 minutes... "Is she the only child of yours?"

Uncle: "No no dear, we have a Son. He is a software engineer and settled in Washington, USA. We have a loving grandson and last year only me and my wife visited USA to meet them. We stayed there for long 6 months but I feel the weather didn't suit us. It's too cold there after 3 PM and we couldn't get out of home after that [I just smiled :)]  and also we feel bored there as there is no one to talk with like in Pune. We had to come back as my wife's health started getting worse there."

[Pause of 15mins....]

Uncle: "My Son won't come back to India as he wants to settle in States and started kind of hating Indian lifestyle. He told us about his decision when last time he visited India, the time I met with an accident. After that accident only I started facing memory loss problem....no no...it's not Amnesia..I do remember everything. It's just that couldn't recollect them instantly. " [My expressions changed suddenly..."How the old couple is surviving having no one to look after them whether they need constant watch."] 

He continued....

"Our Daughter is a Journalist and this is the reason she wanted to settle in Mumbai. She was in Dubai for 2 yrs. She is a smart and intelligent girl...She has many good contacts..In fact I would like to give you her card. You can call her anytime you need.[It was impossible for me to hide the smile on my face....In fact I liked the fact that he was feeling so proud of his daughter.] "

He was talking continuously....He shared so many personal things about his family like how they sold almost all their property to buy a home at Dadar for his daughter. How much he love their current house in Pune and how much sad he is feeling now that he has to sell the property. How Pune has been changed a lot in last 10 yrs...How public transport in Mumbai is far better than in Pune. How politicians are using People like us for their own advantage...............and the list continues.

I was hardly speaking anything...was playing a role of a good listener  :)

By the time we reached Dadar it was almost 1 PM. Saying a final goodbye we got down from the bus and started walking towards our respective destinations.

Meanwhile I received a call from my sister asking at what time I will reach as she is waiting for me to have lunch together :)








No comments:

Post a Comment